If you welcome the cooler evenings and crisp mornings that Autumn has to offer then you’re in good company with us here at The Wonderful Garden Company.
As the nights draw in and the leaves begin to fall, it’s time to enter the next phase of gardening as the seasons slowly transition. Just because the temperatures are falling, it doesn’t mean it's time to hang up your gardening tools. In fact it’s quite the opposite. It’s time to clear, tidy, and prepare for the winter months that are fast approaching. The full bloom of summer may be behind us, but don’t worry, there's still plenty to do and enjoy, so let's look at this in more detail.
Tidy The Garden
This is a fantastic place to start. A great opportunity to tidy, declutter and welcome the Autumn into your garden, so roll up those sleeves and let’s get to it.
- Start with a general tidy of the garden, this will give a better indication of any work that needs carrying out. Move any summer toys, sun loungers, BBQ’s and anything else you no longer use into a garage or storage.
- Sweep up any leaves or other debris lying around.
- Clean the Greenhouse, as you will most likely be transferring plants here to protect them from the frost.
- Reseal any decking to protect the wood from rotting or swelling with moisture.
- Clear out guttering and drainage pipes as they can soon become blocked with leaves etc.
- Remove any weeds from patio areas and driveways.
Flowers, Plants, Borders, Shrubs and Lawn
This is the ideal time to assess your garden to decide if anything needs moving, planting or pruning.
- Remove any dead foliage from the flowers or any that may have gone over in the borders.
- Take any hardwood cuttings now that summer growth is woody.
- Divide summer flowering perennials but, if it stays this wet it might be better to wait until next Spring.
- Prune roses and cut back any perennials to encourage strong growth next year.
- Add a layer of compost to the soil there’s no need to dig it in.
- Remove any perennial plants that may not survive the cold and transfer them to a greenhouse.
- Edge your lawn and start mowing on a higher setting.
What to Plant and Sow in October?
Autumn is a fantastic time to sow and plant a variety of vegetables, fruits and flowers ready for the Spring, these include:
- Broad beans
- Salad leaves
- Bare root fruit trees and roses.
Enjoy Your Garden
A well maintained garden is a thing of beauty, and should be enjoyed all year round. Children still love to play and explore, garden enthusiasts still love to plant and potter. So, why not sit back, relax, and reap the rewards of your green fingered handy work, no matter the season. Pour a glass of wine around a fire pit or toast marshmallows with hot chocolate, either way your garden is there to be enjoyed.
We hope this blog has inspired you to continue your gardening journey. If you’re looking for new gardening tools to kick start your October gardening jobs then look no further than our collection of copper gardening tools, steel gardening tools and the fabulous Sneeboer tools.